By Srila Prabhupada
Vrndavana, Radha-Damodara, 1961
1. On that day, O my master, I made a cry of grief; I was not able to tolerate the absence of you, my guru.
2. On this auspicious day I have come with this offering just to worship you, remembering your lotus feet.
3. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu’s judgement is that renunciation is the most important thing. Not only that, but knowledge of such renunciation must be delivered to every living being.
4. The beginner in devotional service has no ability to do this properly, but you are a maha-bhagavata. You have given us direction.
5. If one is bewildered by ignorance, what kind of renunciant can he be? He will only be a phalgu-vairagi, renouncing externally.
6. Renunciation is actually the result of real spiritual emotion. Without such feeling, it is simply known as “show-bottle.”
7. But there is another show-bottle for the purpose of preaching. That is the Lord’s sannyasa, by which the Mayavadis are converted.
8. Lord Caitanya’s philosophy is beyond varnasrama. It is bhagavata-dharma and is meant for putting an end to all cheating processes of religion.
9. In performing dry renunciation, there can be no real preaching. Therefore yukta-vairagya is given as the highest essential understanding.
10. The sannyasa which you have given us is for preaching in devotion. The faithless sense enjoyers are not able to understand this.
11. Generally the sannyasis renounce everything and go to stay in mountain caves, but you, O master, keep your sannyasis in mansions of marble.
12. To see a sense enjoyer is just like drinking poison, but you, O my master, go far and near, even abroad, to give them your darsana.
13. Mlecchas and yavanas are forbidden to enter the Hindu temples, but you, my Lord, make them the chairman and sit them in the assembly of devotees.
14. Hindus are not allowed to cross the ocean, but you send your devotees overseas to preach.
15. In the cities of the Kali-yuga the instructions of bona fide spiritual preceptors are “forbidden;” still you remain there in any way possible.
16. The devotees want to hide in a secluded place to perform their bhajana. You, however, do not accept this in your judgement.
17. Wherever there is an increase in the population, in that place the preaching work is to be found.
18. In London you want a student hostel. You explain that it must be very first class.
19. In the land of barbarians, a student hostel for preaching hari-katha! Who can understand the significance of these things?
20. To resolve all these apparently contradictory statements is not the play of some incompetent fool.
21. If everyone simply sat down together and considered these things, then what nice preaching there could be!
22. That is your order also, that everyone coming together should merge in your message and preach it to the world.
23. If everyone simply imitates, then there will only be a contradictory result. As long as it goes on, there will only be failure.
24. Even now, my Godbrothers, you return here in the order of our master, and together we engage in his puja.
25. But simply a festival of flowers and fruits does not constitute worship. The one who serves the message of the guru, really worships him.
26. The service of the message is the real meaning of the Vedas. Don’t be proud, brothers. Come back to this.
27. Kalidas Nag [a learned man who was defeated in debate by Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati and later became his disciple], that master said in public forum one day,
28. That Kali’s mission was to kill all the entire world while the essential meaning of Lord Caitanya’s message was kept locked up in a cage.
29. Oh, shame! My dear brothers, aren’t you embarrassed? In the manner of businessmen you increase your disciples.
30. Our spiritual master said to preach! Let the neophytes remain inside the temples and simply ring the bells.
31. All these things are not our spiritual master’s preaching methods. These are all the things done by the caste gosvamis.
32. But just take a good look at the terrible situation that has arisen. Everyone has become a sense enjoyer and has given up preaching.
33. In the temples also they have begun to lock the doors. Preach this bhagavata-dharma; don’t hesitate.
34. Whithin this world there is another world, whose sound is the unequaled penetrating force.
35. The preaching that “the molla only goes as far as the mosque and no further” should be put to an end today.
36. From the seas, across the earth, penetrate the universal shell; come together and preach this Krsna consciousness.
37. Then our master’s service will be in proper order. Make your promise today. All of you get together and decide what should be done.
39. You have become renouncers, brothers, so renounce everything. But if you also renounce the order of your spiritual master, then what kind of renunciation is that?
40. The one who renounces his guru’s order (guru-tyagi) and the one who tries to enjoy the assets of his spiritual master (guru-bhogi) are two kinds of useless persons. First become a servant of your spiritual master (guru-sevi), and then you will understand all these things clearly.
41. If there is only one Supreme Lord, then a true sadhu, even if his wealth increases, gives up his desire for profit, adoration and prestige in this material world.
42. Your gold, brother, is the father of sense gratification. This meaningful statement was spoken by Prabhupada himself.
43. Give up your wealth for preaching. Sit down together and make a special effort to come to a decision.
44. The Supreme Lord says that everything is His. Don’t protest. Just unite and preach.
45. Srila Prabhupada gave this final message himself. Jake great care to do that completely and in all respects.
46. Otherwise your sannyasa will be wasted and useless. O saintly ones, be careful; otherwise afterward you will regret.
47. So what is the difficulty for all of us to come together in this way? And why do all these things even have to be said to you?
48. Give up your stubbornness; there is no time! Come, all my brothers, on this auspicious holy occasion.
49. When will that day come when there will be a temple established in every house in every corner of the world?
50. When the high court judge will be a Gaudiya Vaisnava with tilaka beautifully decorating his forehead.
51. When a Vaisnava winning votes will be elected president of the land, and preaching will be spread everywhere.
52. The demons simply plunder the Lord’s wealth. The helpless populace cries “hey, hey” in distress.
53. The demons want so many plans just to cheat the people. They sell sheat flour at thirty-two rupees a mound.
54. Will opening a factory fill a hungry man’s belly? Being oppressed by starvation, they will eat grass and mango pits.
55. Wearing a two paisa string, a man is called a brahmana. Wearing a saffron cloth, he has become a sannyasi.
56. The householders beg from the sannyasis and why not? The sannyasis have tens of millions of rupees in the bank.
57. As the days pass, the influence of Kali-yuga increases and the poor jivas are all crying in distress.
58. Ten thousand cows are killed daily, and the nation’s expert leaders are all eating untouchable foodstuffs.
59. People of muddy intelligence increase day by day. A man and his wife separate simply on a mere word.
60. Everyone has become a witch by the influence of the age. Everyone is unhappy due to the absence of the mercy of the Vaisnavas.
61. The Vaisnavas are famous as para-duhkha-duhkhih. This fame will increase as the preaching increases.
62. If eternally pure devotional service to Krsna is awakened in everyone, then Kali will flee, screaming, of his own accord.
63. Praninam upakaraya: do work for the benefit of all living beings. This is Mahaprabhu’s teaching. This is the storehouse of happiness in this life and the next.
64. So which work has fallen into your hands, gather together and do it.
65. Vasudeva Datta said to the Lord, paying his obeisances: “Save all the living beings in the material world.
66. “Give all their sins and sufferings to me, who am the lowest of all. In this way all the miseries of the suffering conditioned souls will end.”
67. He was the best of Vaisnavas, para-duhkha-duhkhi. He knew that there is no real happiness in gratifying the senses.
68. And what kind of mercy can the non-Vaisnava have? He simply makes offenses by his daridra-narayana philosophy.
69. The mercy of the Vaisnavas is scientific and authorized. Without the Vaisnavas’ mercy, this world is simply insurmountable Maya.
70. If there is a kingdom of Visnu and Vaisnavas on the surface of the earth, then the world will be happy. So say all the great sages and Rsis.
71. Why is everyone crying for Rama-rajya? The only way it can be had is if there is a Visnu-centered kingdom.
72. Lord Krsna enthroned King Yudhisthira; then the whole world was rich and fortunate due to the qualities of a Vaisnava.
73. The streams, rivers, trees, fields and mountains were all full of fruits and flowers. The milk-laden cows were floating in abundant milk.
74. The birds, beasts and lower creatures were all non-envious. Material life in the Vaisnava kingdom was regulated and perfect.
75. All immersed in bliss, sing the glories of Hari! The hearts if the Vaisnavas dance in ecstasy to see this.
76. The entire world is filled with the use of material objects without a trace of devotion to the Lord.
77. Still, they are searching after peace. Preach Krsna consciousness — fulfill their desires.
78. Today, my brothers, get to this task. Save the battered souls by your preaching.
79. Srila Prabhupada! Please be merciful today. This time have compassion. You are not a conditioned soul of this material world.
80. Whatever independence one may have, let it be cast into the waters. The lowly Abhaya offers this presentation today.
|Sri Viraha Astaka|